Yorktown, Virginia

Monday, May 2, 2016

For AIT, Josh is in Newport News, VA at Fort Eustis.  We left Fort Jackson right after his graduation and made the 5ish hour drive to Virginia.  We decided to stay in Williamsburg since Newport News didn't look like the greatest area.   On our way, we realized last second that we were going to have to take a ferry because of the way the GPS took us.  Fortunately this ferry was free, and it was a first time experience for both of us.  When we got to the hotel that night, we went out for dinner and pretty much crashed, we were exhausted.

The next day we were in no rush to go anywhere, we were both exhausted.  We had to be out of the hotel by noon and I think we checked out literally at noon.  We debated between going to Yorktown or Williamsburg and obviously ended up in Yorktown.  There really isn't too much to do there so we just wandered around until we were ready for lunch.  We ate lunch right on the water at the Water Street Grill.  I got a crab soup that was delicious but unfortunately I wasn't a fan of my crab cakes ... boo to red peppers. 

Unfortunately, right after lunch we had to head over to Fort Eustis.   Josh was told he had to be there by five but since we had no idea how long it would take to get things done, we headed over around 330.   By this time I was super tired and ready to get on the road because I had a 3.5-4 hour drive ahead of me.  So, we get to Josh's barracks and he was inside for a long time.  He finally came out with another guy and started grabbing his stuff.  Josh had asked me to bring his laptop so I asked the guy if he was allowed to have it and they guy said, "yes, but you don't need to grab everything now, you can get the rest when you come back later".  I'm pretty sure I had a WTF face on at that moment because Josh was like "I'll explain when I come back out".   Turns out that the Sergent that had to check him in didn't come on duty til 8pm.  So, we had to find something to do until then.  Mind you, I still had a long drive and I was supposed to work at 6am the next morning.  Luckily my boss is awesome and switched shifts with me.  Anyway, we ended up going to the movies to see Deadpool and that took most of our time.  As pissed as I was, I was definitely glad to have that little bit of extra time with Josh.  Once we got back to Eustis Josh was able to check in so we had to say our goodbyes :(.  We are very fortunate that this is so close to home and I can come visit him while he is at AIT.  I can't wait to go back down and go to Bush Gardens, Williamsburg, and Jamestown with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design