Political Tuesday: Why I'm Not a Feminist

Tuesday, March 1, 2016


I was on Facebook the other day and came across some posts that a person I know had shared.  This person is someone I would consider to be very much a feminist.  I have nothing against feminism until you try to push it down my throat which I feel like these particular posts are doing.  So that is what I want to talk about today feminism and why I don't see what is so wrong with traditional gender roles.

I wouldn't consider myself a feminist because I feel like people are taking it way to damn far.  For example, do I believe that women should be paid the same as a man who is doing the same job as her with equal experience and education ... absolutely.   Do I agree with the whole women in combat in the Military thing?  Not really, but I'll discuss my reasons for that later in this post. 

In my personal life, I get shit from a lot of people because I am typically the one who cleans and takes care of the house.  People (women) tell me all the time that our tasks should be divided equally.  First, don't tell me how to run MY house.  Second, I like keeping the house clean.  I'm also a bit of a control freak and like things done a certain way, so it's easier if I do it.  Also, when Josh was at his other job he worked longer hours than me and he did way more physical labor.  I don't think it's to much to ask for me to do the house work.  That's not to say that Josh does nothing around the house.  He folds his own laundry, he picks up after himself, and does what he can to make things easier for me.  He also does things like mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, and taking the trash to the dump.

I have also had people give me shit over the fact that I make Josh's lunches, for the most part.  There are times when he just doesn't know what he wants, so he buys lunch somewhere.  But generally, when I am making my lunch, I also make his.  And when he gets done with training and are living together again I will continue to make his lunch.   First, it's more practical and faster for me to do both.  Second, I like doing this for him.  I'm not much of a cook and I don't generally make much for dinner so I like being able to make lunch for him.  I don't see why this is such a problem, but apparently I'm setting women back 50 years by wanting to do something nice for my husband.  Whatever.

Now, lets talk about feminism in politics.  Hilary Clinton (the old, rich, white lady who let her cheating husband get away with walking all over her) claims to be a feminist.  Abortion is one of the things on the political agenda when it comes to feminism; should a woman be able to do what she wants with her own body?   I guess you could say that I am in the middle on this issue but I lean more to the right.  I am not religious or anything but I still believe that all human life matters.  Now, in cases of rape or incest I believe a woman should be able to have an abortion but only before that 12 week mark.  If the woman still does not want the baby, adoption is always an option.  I also believe that abortion is OK if the mothers life is in danger.  I think she should have the right to choose between her life and the unborn child's life (and so should the father or family members if the mother is unable to make the decision).  Other than those exceptions, I do not believe in abortion.   Mrs. Clinton wants to legalize partial birth abortion, which is a gruesome process for both the mother and the unborn child.  Now, I am not a doctor but I do have a long time friend that is a doctor who says that there is rarely ever a medical reason to do a partial birth abortion (medical term is intact dilation and extraction).   I don't think abortion is something to be taken lightly.  Marco Rubio said it best when he said that the issue of life is not a political issue, it is a human rights issue.

Another political feminist issue is women in combat in the military.  Now, before anyone shits a brick let me explain my reasons for that.  I know feminist don't like to admit it, but generally men are biologically built to be physically stronger than women.   I am in great physical shape; I work out at least 3-5 times per week, I eat well, I lift weights, I stretch, and I take care of my body overall.  I have even had doctors tell me that they rarely see someone my age who is as healthy as me - but I still cant lift my husband and carry him across my living room, I can't even drag him more than a foot or two.  Josh is about 5'9 and he's a lot of muscle. I can't even imagine what I'd look like trying to drag my 6'3 friend Brandon who is also all muscle.  So, as Tomi Lahren said, "when it comes to national security, the United States Military can not be transformed into a social experiment".   I could not agree more; the safety of our soldiers is more important than anything else.  This is something I am very passionate about but that's all I'll say on the subject.

Last, but definitely not least I am not a feminist because I don't believe that women with great bodies who want to show them off should be criticized.   Every year when the Victoria's Secret fashion show comes out my Facebook page is flooded with two extremes.  Either "OMG this is awesome I love it!" or "the night that makes me feel like shit about myself, women should not parade around in underwear and make the rest of us feel bad".   I'm sorry, but what?   Isn't feminism about accepting all body types and for women to be able to do what they want?  Just because they make you feel bad about yourself?  Because they worked hard for their bodies and are proud of them?  Your body isn't anyone else's "fault" but your own; if you don't like your body you have to power to change it.  I get so sick of people telling me I'm lucky for being as small as I am or that I'm lucky I have great genes because my Mom is in better shape than most 20 year-olds.  Um, no.  Both my Mom and I work extremely hard to look the way we do.  My Mom taught me about healthy eating and the right way to work out.  And believe it or not, it's not all about vanity.  I like knowing that I am treating my body right and being healthy because I only get one body.  

For these reasons I do not consider myself a feminist.  I agree that women should be paid equally in the work place, I believe that we need to stop victim blaming when it comes to rape, and I believe that women's roles in the world have changed and that's OK.  However, I do not believe women should be in combat, I do not believe abortion should be something you can do just because someone forgot to wrap their willy, and I do not think I should be chastised for believing in some traditional gender roles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design