Political Tuesday: Marco Rubio

Tuesday, February 23, 2016


Last week when I announced that I was going to start this series, I said that I am not at all quiet about the fact that I support Marco Rubio.   When I first started watching the debates, I had my eye on a few candidates - I started narrowing it down and by time the New Hampshire debate came around I was convinced.   I had done my research on his positions (as well as the positions of the other candidates I was watching) and was fully convinced that he is the best choice for President of the United States.   So, before I start sharing my opinions on each issue, I figured I'd share why I support Marco Rubio.

He Can Beat Hilary Clinton: Marco Rubio is young, smart, and well spoken.  I think he is the only candidate that will be able to bring those in the middle over to the republican side.  His Hispanic heritage and his willingness to discuss the racial issues in this country helps, also.   I despise Hilary Clinton - there is no nice way to say it.  Like, I can't even watch the democratic debates because I can't even stand the sound of her voice.  She is a criminal and I don't want to see her become President, so when I was deciding on which candidate I wanted to support I was looking for someone who I believed could beat her.  Since, lets be real, Hilary is probably going to be the Democratic nominee.  I think Marco Rubio is that candidate (actually polls have proven that, too).

His Immigration Plans are Most Practical:  I know everyone loves Donald Trump because he is so radical, but that's not good enough for me.  Trump wants to deport between 11 and 30 million illegal immigrants.  Last time I looked at the numbers, that would cost about 500 billion dollars (see here). Rubio's plan is about gaining back the trust of the American people.  He wants to get illegal immigration under control first (you can read more here and listen here) and then see what the American people are willing to accept as far as the people who have been here for a long time with no criminal record. His plans are far more practical than "just deport them all".

 National Security: National security is probably the biggest issue for me, it is the one I pay attention to most.  Despite what President Obama may think, Isis is a huge threat - bigger than Al Qaeda.  So, I think the way in which the next president will handle our military and national security is the most important issue.  There are a few candidates such as Jeb Bush, who I think also have a good understanding of national security but I think Rubio surpasses them all.  Plus, as a military wife, I am all about building our Military because the stronger and more prepared they are, the less dangerous wars are for our soldiers (relatively speaking of course; war will always be dangerous).

Second Amendment: I think every Republican candidate is against President Obama's ridiculous crusade against guns.  However, I loved this response from Rubio (here).   I like that Rubio intends to get to the root of the problem of gun violence, and it's not the gun - it's mental illness in this country.  You have to be living in a bubble not to realize we have a mental health issue in this country.  That is what needs to be looked at, the why - not the tool to carry out the crime.  We have guns in my house now (I sleep with one under my bed) and also when I was growing up.  Hell, my Dad used to shoot targets in our basement.  My Grandfather had a gun collection worth thousands and thousands of dollars.  None of us have ever committed a crime (with guns or otherwise).  Read more about Rubio's position on this here.

There are a lot of other and more in depth reasons why I support Marco Rubio, but I'm not trying to be here all day.  These are the issues that are most important to me.   Over the next few weeks I will be going more in depth with my opinions of each of the issues I've mentioned here as well as some others (including Common Core and Economics).   So, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design